Hollywood Meets Opera on Tenerife
Do you want to take a photo with Matt Damon or to be a part of “The Fast and The Furious” crew? No problem – If you attend the casting at the Auditorio de Tenerife in Santa Cruz, you could be one of the lucky few. However, the concert- and congress hall is not just where castings for huge Hollywood-productions take place. It is also the home of the Tenerife Symphony Orchestra and hosts various events throughout the year, including ballet, dance shows, opera, comedy, musicals and gospel.
Use the following menu to find out the different facts about this awesome building. You can always come back to the beginning by clicking on the bottom right side.
Table of Contents
- The Current Program
- Why Is There a Ship on the Promenade of Santa Cruz?
- Expensive Struggle for the Sake of the Arts
- A Symphony Orchestra and an Organ in One Building
- There Exists no Culture Without Your Creativity
- Projects and Events of the Auditorio de Tenerife
- More Offers at the Auditorio de Tenerife
- Directions and Parking
The Most Important First: The Current Program
You can find all the information that you need about the current program of the Auditorio de Tenerife here, and throughout this post.
|16:40 h (Music) Beselch Rodríguez|
17:30 h (Dance) Daniel Morales
17:30 h (Music) Combo Cordeiro
18:20 h (music) Los Gofiones
19:10 h (Music) Nuri
20:00 h (Dance) Ertza
20:00 h (Music) Nelida Karr Music
20:50 h (Music) Álex Ikot band
21:40 h (Music) Cristina Ramos
22:00 (Dance) Jerahuni Movement Factory
22:30 (Music) The Beachers
23:20 (Music) Puerto Candelaria
|16:00 h (Dance) Provisional Danza|
16:40 h (Music) Esdras Nogueira
17:30 h (Dance) YK Projects/
17:30 (Music) Timples y Otras
Pequeñas guitarras del mundo
18:20 h (Music) ST Fusion
19:10 h (Music) Lornoar
20:00 h (Music) Altertango
20:10 h (Dance) Kukai Dantza
20:50 h (music) Silibrina
21:10 h (Dance) Zukdance performing
21:40 h (music) Evha
22:00 (Dance) Paula Quintana
22:30 (Music) Aywa
23:20 (Music) Troker
|16:40 h (Dance) A POC A POC|
17:30 h (Music) Javier Infante &
José Alberto Medina
18:20 h (Music) Jazznesis & Mar
(Jaume Vilaseca Trio)
19:10 h (Musical) Andrés Molina
20:00 h (Dance) Amaia Elizaran
20:00 h (Music) José Alberto
Medina & The Joses
20:50 h (Music) Veneno & DJ Arrocin
21:40 h (Music) Curupira
22:10 h (Dance) Compañia Nómada
22:30 h (Music) Material de Contrabando
23:20 h (Music) Wesli
|11:00 h (Dance) Danza en Comunidad|
12:00 h (Others) Tian Gombau- Trstre de l’home dibuixat
|21:00 (Music) DHAFER YOUSSEF||12:30 h (Music) El gran órgano sinfónico 2.0||18:00 h (Musical theatre) Taller de Teatro Musical||18:00 h (Musical theatre) Cantajuegos|
|19:30 (Music) Bachiana||19:30 h (Music) Titán – Inauh||12:30 (Musical theatre) Cantajuegos|
17:00 (Musical theatre) Cantajuegos
|20:00 (Music) FIMUCITÉ/ Encuentros |
en la tercera fase
|19:00 h (Music) FIMUCITÉ/ Encuentros en|
la tercera fase
19:30 h (Music) Entre el norte y el sur
|21:00 h (Dance) Luz de farol||19:30 h (Music) La grande de Schubert|
20:30 h (Others) El Sermos del bufón
|20:30 h (Others) El Sermón del bufón.||20:30 h (Others) Zenit|
|20:30 h (Others) Gross Indecency||12:30 h (Music) El gran órgano sinfónico 2.0||18:00 h (Musical theatre) Taller de Teatro Musical||18:00 h (Musical theatre) Cantajuegos|
|20:30 h (Others) El último Bufón||19:30 h (Opera) La italiana en Argel (Rossini)||19:30 h (Opera) La italiana en Argel (Rossini)||19:30 h (Opera) La italiana en Argel (Rossini)|
|18:00 h (Opera) La italiana en Argel (Rossini)|
|19:30 h (Music)|
Concertante de Prokófiev
20:30 h (Others)
He nacido para verte sonreir
|11:00 h (Dance)Little night|
12:00 h (Dance)Little night
13:00 h (Dance)Little night
20:30 h (Otros) He nacido para verte sonreír
|19:00 h (Dance) SI PUDIERA HABLAR DE ESTO NO HARÍA ESTO||20:30 (Others) LUCES DE BOHEMIA|
|20:30 h (Others) Gross Indecency||12:30 h (Music) El gran órgano sinfónico 2.0||19:00 h (Others) La Maleta||19:00 (Dance) Zero|
|20:30 h (Dance) La medición de los hombre Malboro||18:00 h (Others) CUATRO CORAZONES CON FRENO Y MARCHA ATRÁS|
21:00 (others) CUATRO CORAZONES CON FRENO Y MARCHA ATRÁS
|20:30 h (Others) Placeres intimos||19:00 h (Dance) Eran casi las dos|
|19:30 h (Opera) Lucía de Lammermoor (Donizetti)||19:30 h (Opera) Lucía de Lammermoor (Donizetti)||19:00 h (Dance) Las Muchachas||19:30 h (Opera) Lucía de Lammermoor (Donizetti)|
|18:00 h (Dance) AKARI||20:30 (Other) ANA||14:30 h (Music) SIBELIUS|
|19:30 h (Music) |
Triple de Beethoven
20:30 h (Others)
|19: 30 h (Music) |
NOËL A LA FRANÇAISE
|19:30 h (Opera) |
EL VIAJE A REIMS (Rossini)
Why is There a Ship on the Promenade of Santa Cruz?
The idea of building a center for music, creativity and dance was originally conceived in 1970. In 1978, Jose Antonio Fernández Alba got the assignment of doing just that, but his plans were never put into practice.
Today, the eye-catching Auditorio de Tenerife is located at the harbor of Santa Cruz and reminds visitors of a massive, white ship. It was built in 1994 by the Valencian architect, Santiago Calatrava Valls. Its external walls are decorated with the typical Canarian Trencadís – which are small pieces of pottery that reflect the sunlight and give the building a sparkly appearance. You probably know this style of architecture from Park Güel, which was created by Antonio Gaudi in Barcelona.
An Expensive Struggle for the Sake of the Arts
Originally, the construction wasn’t expected to cost more than 30 million Euros, but 33 years later, the total spend amounted to 72 million Euros. On 26th September 2003, the Auditorio de Tenerife opened its doors. The first concert Fanfaria, of Krzysztof Penderecki, was attended by a lot of important people, including Queen Sofia and Crown Prince Felipe.
The Auditorio de Tenerife is able to accomodate about 2000 people and, in 2011, it received the name affix Adán Martín in honor of Adán Martín Menis, who is a politician from Santa Cruz and was president of the Canarian Islands from 2003 to 2007.
The structure of the opera house is quite spectacular, with its different platforms, convoluted walls, and 50m high wave-construction on the ceiling. This all overlaps with a curvy roof that hovers above the dome of the Sala principal o Sinfónica, the Great Hall of Auditorio de Tenerife. This curved shape has resulted in the building being one of the most popular and iconic destinations on the entire island.
In addition to this curved feature, flights of stairs break up the mighty white external walls and, at the top, you will experience an amazing view of the sea in front of the Auditorio, with the Anaga-Mountains in the background.
By Dan (Own work; CC by-SA 2.0 via flickr)
A Symphony Orchestra and an Organ in One Building
There are actually two halls inside the Auditorio de Tenerife. In addition to the Sala Principal o Sinfónica, which has 1658 seats, there is a smaller hall, called the Sala de Cámera, which can accommodate up to 428 visitors. The avant-garde building is also the home of the Orchesta Sinfónica de Tenerife.
Two years after its opening, they installed an organ in the Great Hall designed by the Spanish company, Blancafort Orgueners de Monserat. The person in charge was Jean Guillou, and he stressed the importance of achieving a perfectly balanced and clear sound. For this reason, he arranged the organ pipes in a unique arrangement based on the way the Great Hall was constructed. The whole Auditorio de Tenerife conveys the impression of visual and acoustic movement.
There Exists No Culture Without Your Creativity
The curators of the Auditorio de Tenerife have been trying to involve the public in the program of the “Operahouse of Tenerife”. As a result, the Área Educativa y Social has been founded with the slogan “No existe Educatión sin cultura” – There is no education without culture.
This includes various projects in different culture areas, in which everyone can participate. It is thought that culture arises from creative process, which everyone should be able to become a part of, to reduce the barriers between different cultures and education levels. Some projects concentrate on the pedagogical approach, while others place emphasis on the development of an individual’s creativity and the learning of different techniques.
Projects and Events of the Auditorio de Tenerife
The Auditorio de Tenerife presents a variety of projects and events to the public, so everyone is bound to find something they’ll enjoy, the range includes:
- Festival de Música de Canarias (pdf, p. 2): This music festival is an unmissable event for fans of classical music visiting Tenerife. The festival takes place every year in January and February, its unique selling point is the Canarian winter, which averages 20 °C at the time of the event. International stars such as Karel Mark Chichon, Pinchas Zukerman, Varvara y Javier Perianes, as well as Iván el Terrible with José Coronado and The Nacional Choir of España, are amongst the previous guests. The rest of the repertoire covers all eras of music from the Barroco of Bach to contemporary music.
- Festival International de las Artes de Movimiento de Tenerife (FAM): The performances at this festival go beyond ordinary dancing, and demonstrate the commonality and differences of diverse movements and dancing-styles.
- Festival International Canarias Jazz y Más: The first Jazz Festival took place in 1992 with Canarian performers. Since 1992, it has developed into an international event that has hosted artists such as Kenny Garret, Tanika Charles & the wonderful or The Allan Harris Band. It’s even grown so much that Heineken sponsors the festival every summer.
- FIMUCITÉ (Festival Internacional de Música de Cine de Tenerife): Every year since 2007, Tenerife becomes a hotspot for international film music. Hosting free events, concerts, round tables, conferences and much more. Diego Navarro conducts the festival own symphony orchestra and chorus, la Tenerife Film Orchestra & Choir.
- Festival de Música Contemporánea de Tenerife (FMUC): June is the month in which percussion makes its appearance. For the whole month, various events take place, including a concert at the Espacio Cultural Caja Canarias, that features works from this and the last century. In 2018 the Festival will have the presence of a visionary of the marimba as the main guest, Leigh Howard Stevens.
- Conciertos didácticos: The Área Educativa of the Auditorios de Tenerife offers all schools, universities, academies and other educational institutions in Tenerife the opportunity to book courses for their students. Instructors visit on set dates and give classes at that time. The offer is not limited to Santa Cruz however, and is actually available across the entire island
If you need more information about this event or would like to contact the Coordinators of the Educational Area of the Auditorium of Tenerife: Araceli Vera and Ana Hernández, The following are the contact details:
Phone Numbers 922 56 86 03 and 922 56 86 12
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Quantum Ensemble (pdf, p. 6): This ensemble is the result of a policy decision made to encourage more interest in classical music. The ensemble is made up of experienced Canarian and European solists and musicians as Cristo Barrios, clarinete, David Ballesteros, violín y Gustavo Díaz-Jerez, piano. It is aimed at interpreting classical music in a modern way to connect with the audience during the concerts. In addition, members of the Quantum Ensemble give workshops and seminars.
- Sinfónica de Tenerife (OST): Founded in 1935 as Orquestra de Cámara de Canaris, it was renamed Sinfónica de Tenerife (OST) in 1970. It is the house- intern orchestra of the Auditorio de Tenerife. The concert season of the Opera House begins in September 2018 and lasts until June of next year. A total of 18 concerts are held throughout the period and, either single cards, or subscription for all concerts, can be purchased.
- Musicales (pdf, p. 12): For years, the Auditorio de Tenerife has been home to major international musical productions. This has contributed to the steady growth of the musical industry in Spain. Among the musicals hosted so far, are classics like Chicago, My Fair Lady, Mama Mia, Les Miserables and Beauty and the Beast. Personal interpretations of well-known compositions are also performed with Canarian musical performers such as Evita and Jesus Christ Superstar, directed by Jaime Azpilicueta.
- Musical IES: This project of Cabildo de Tenerife is realized in cooperation with the Auditorio de Tenerife. Target groups are young people and students who would like to take weekly lessons in dance, singing and acting. This project takes place at different locations in Tenerife. In addition, the adolescents have the possibility to gain knowledge in make-up, film & directing, screenplays, and costume. The teachers are experts in their respective fields, and work for the Auditorio de Tenerife. This video gives you a better idea about the above courses.
4. Opera de Tenerife
Manos a la Ópera: The aim of this project is to communicate the entire creative process of composing an opera for children and young people – by letting them try it on their own. Anyone who is interested can take courses in literary writing, music, theater, drama and visual arts.
Ópera en Familia: The aim of this project is to prepare international pieces in such as way as to fascinate first-time opera visitors, even if they are quite young. Therefore, a family can visit operas, because the texts are age-appropriate. The directors shorten the operas to 70 minutes maximum, translate them into Spanish and show the translations on monitors. The challenge lies in trying not to change the original idea and the core of the opera, but successfully adapting it for young visitors.
Ópera Estudio: This academy offers courses to provide further education to young singers who aspire to get a job at the opera. Components of the training are techniques for interpreting songs and scenic presentation, style, improvisation theater, drama and other areas. In cooperation with the Orquesta Sinfónica de Tenerife, they produce interpretations of classic operas, like The Marriage of Figaro, by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, which are performed at the Sala Sinfónica of the Auditorio de Tenerife.
Ópera Versión Concierto: The Traditional opera starts in 2018 with the title Verdiano de celos, traición y con ictos paterno liales, Don Carlo, con las voces de Josep Bros y Yolanda Auyanet. Unlike Verdi’s Romanticism, “La Flauta mágica” is one of the most celebrated operas of Classicism ever.
- Danza en Communidad: The Tenerife Danza Lab (TDL), the intern dance company, develops programs for individuals and groups who want to discover dance as a creative way of expressing themselves. Experimenting with new dance styles is also welcomed. With Danza en Comunidad, the experiment was started to involve more urbanites and arouse interest in dancing. And it was done successfully! The concept is now also available throughout the island.
- Escuela del Espectador: This project is intended to help visitors understand and interpret what’s seen and heard. A group of 15 people can participate in workshops with the interpretation of the piece and the language. Previous knowledge is not necessary.
- Tenerife Danza Lab (TDL): This platform provides the opportunity for people to try out various ways in which body and movement can be synchronized. In workshops, both professionals and anyone else interested, can be inspired and let their creativity run wild. In addition, performances for children are organized. Two forms are available:
- Formato Sala Cámara: Presentation of TDL and presentations of past performances, followed by discussions.
- Talleres específicos Sala Castillo: Bachelor dance students, people with physical or mental impairment or from penal institution may work together here with professors, animators, tutors, nurses on various projects.
Producción propia: At the very beginning, a self-imposed task of Auditorio de Tenerife was to take co-productions with various theaters around the world. This is also one of the main resources of the “Opera of Tenerife ‘, as it licenses its productions to this theatres. This program is aimed at a students and amateur associations audience such as:
- Teatro en la Escuela (pdf, p. 24):Through this project young people can provide in the island professional theater at school centers. This initiative aims to make the scenic languages known to students in their own educational context, to link academic aspects to the professional context of the Canarian Performing Arts.
- Escuela de Teatro (pdf, p. 25): This school has the educational and cultural purpose of teaching Theater for children, youth and adults in order to promote a quality artistic action and collaborate with the cultural development of their environment.
- Teatro aficionado (pdf, p. 25): The Theater aims to stimulate and to promote the theatrical movement among the existing associations in the Island. Its fundamental objective is the accomplishment of a theatrical assembly where the participants will put all his creative potential, ideas and feelings his desire to communicate, his skills, his knowledge, his experience on the tables.
More Offers at the Auditorio de Tenerife
MAG Café Bistro
Since September 2013, it has been possible to make a reservation at the MAG Café Bistrot for personal parties and events. The seafront location invites visitors to dwell on the various platforms around the Auditorio and take beautiful photos. It is a popular venue for birthday parties or weddings, as well as corporate parties. Catering & Events MAG offer matching services for the preparation and execution.
Reservation and more Information:
Phone: (+34) 628677686 or (+34) 922 56 86 00
Auditorio de Tenerife offers guided tours. Discover why the curves, lines and the bright white color of this imposing building has impressed people when they see it for the first time.
Guided Tours are held from Monday to Saturday (except holidays) at 10:00, 12:00, 14:00 and 16:00. If you want more information and to book a place, you can contact them at their ticket office:
Phone: 922 56 86 25
Directions and Parking
With Google Maps, you can easily create your travel plan by entering your departure point in the directions and selecting whether you plan to arrive by car or bus. If you go by bus, Google Maps will give you the exact departure times under “travel options.”
Coming by bus from Puerto de la Cruz:
Take the bus 103 traveling from the stop El Risco. The journey will last one hour. There are four stops until you reach Intercambiador StaCruz. From there, it is about 500 m to the Auditorio de Tenerife. Another option but longer is take the bus 102. The journey will last 1 hour and half but there are 22 stops to reach Intercaviador StaCruz.
Coming by bus from Los Cristianos:
With the buses 110 or 111, it will take one and a half hours from the bus stop Los Cristianos to arrive at Intercambiador StaCruz. You will reach this stop without having to change buses. You can then walk the remaining 500 m to the Auditorio de Tenerife.
Arriving by car from Puerto de la Cruz
Take the TF-312 Ctra. General Puerto Cruz – Arenas until you reach the roundabout
at the commercial center La Villa, at La Orotava.
At the roundabout take the fifth exit to stay at TF – 312 Ctra . General Puerto Cruz – Arenas.
After 2 km, at the second roundabout, take the second exit TF – 320.
After 850m at the third roundabout take the fourth exit onto TF – 5 Santa Cruz / La Orotav
Follow this road ( RF – 5 ) for about 20 minutes.
Once you are in Santa Cruz, stay on Calle Tres de Mayo / La Salla / Avenida Maritima / Puerto. You’ll pass a big roundabout, where you need to keep right to drive on Avenida Manuel Hermoso Rojas to Avenida la Constitucion . The Avenida la Constitucion runs parallel to the sea and leads directly to the Auditorio de Tenerife .
As parking at the Auditorio is limited, it is recommended to locate a parking garage or parking lot before getting too close.
Arriving by car from Los Cristianos
Take the TF – 655 to the roundabout.
At the roundabout, take the second exit TF-1 direction Aeropuerto Sur / Santa Cruz .
Stay on the TF – 1 for about 40 minutes , and then take one of the 2 right lanes to take exit 3, towards Avenida Maritima / Puerto.
At the roundabout, take the first exit to stay on the TF-4. You will eventually reach Avenida la Constitucion, where you can continue to the Auditorio de Tenerife.
Again, it is recommended, to pick a place for parking in advance.
Like in most cities in Tenerife, parking spaces in Santa Cruz are rare. There are a few parking garages and partly secured parking grounds at the harbour and along the promenade, which are also usually well signposted. But because Santa Cruz is not very big, you can get around easily on foot.
Parking ground at Auditorio de Tenerife Av la Constitución, 35, 38003 Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Plaza de Espana and the Avenida Maritima: Av. Marítima, 128, 38002 Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Plaza Weyler: Av. Ángel Guimerá, 9-11, 38003 Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Parking Bulevar: Calle San Clemente, 1, 38002 Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Parking Santa Rosalia: Calle de Sta Rosalía, 87, 38002 Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- The shopping street Tres de Mayo and Cabo Llanos