The SIELE Exam Is the Fastest Way to Prove Your Spanish Proficiency
Do you want to prove your Spanish proficiency level in a quick and easy way?
The SIELE Exam is an online Spanish examination aimed at students and professionals to help prove their degree of Spanish proficiency in a fast and easy way through its online registration, flexible exam process and fast results. With SIELE, candidates project their profile internationally and strengthen their admissions to training plans, universities and selection processes within various companies.
Take a look at the menu questions to navigate the different sections.
Table of Contents
- What is SIELE?
- What is the Instituto Cervantes?
- Why should you take the SIELE exam?
- How can you register for the SIELE exam?
- How much does the SIELE exam cost?
- When and where can you take the SIELE exam?
- What can you expect on the exam day?
- When do you receive the SIELE results and how do they look like?
- How can you prepare for the SIELE exam?
- SIELE exam preparation course at FU International Academy
What Is SIELE?
SIELE as a Spanish Proficiency Exam.
SIELE is the Servico Internacional de Evaluación de la Lengua Española (International Assessment Service for the Spanish Language) and is an electronic means of proving your Spanish language proficiency.
SIELE is a multi-level exam where each task presents a different degree of difficulty in Spanish, ranging from level A1 to C1 in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR), which standardises plurilingual education around Europe. Therefore, each exam question helps you discover your official proficiency level in Spanish.
The SIELE is modular, so each candidate may choose between a complete Exam Certificate in Spanish or an individual Skills Report of the competency areas (Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking).
What are your options?
Here are the options for the SIELE exam:
1. SIELE Global
2. S1: Reading + Listening comprehension
3. S2: Reading comprehension + Written expression and interaction
4. S3: Listening comprehension + Oral expression and interaction
5. S4: Oral expression and interaction
6. S5: Written expression and interaction + Spoken expression and interaction
The SIELE Global exam consists of 4 tests corresponding to the four language communication competences and is the most complete modality to certify your level of Spanish proficiency.
The independent SIELE modalities (S1 – S5) are created from four possible combinations of the Global exam and certify your Spanish language level of the communication part of your choice.
Spanish Certificates: SIELE vs. DELE
The DELE Exam is considered the best official and international proof of your Spanish certification level, but is a bit more complicated to obtain. When taking the DELE exam, you need to decide on a specific proficiency level and take all four test areas together on a specified date.
Alternatively, you can take the SIELE exam on a date of your choice, determine your proficiency during the examination and you don’t need to complete all sections of the tests if you so choose.
The DELE gives you lifetime certification in Spanish proficiency, while the SIELE certificate is valid for up to 5 years.
What Is the Instituto Cervantes?
The SIELE exam is promoted by Instituto Cervantes, the National Autonomous University of Mexico, the University of Salamanca and the University of Buenos Aires.
The Ingenious Nobleman Mister Don Quixote of La Mancha, written by Miguel de Cervantes, is considered the most influential work of Spanish literature and follows the story of a brave Spaniard throughout his journey to revive chivalry, undo wrongs and bring justice to the world. It is then no surprise that an institute whose main responsibility is to promote Spanish language and culture around the world would name their organization after one of the greatest writers in the Spanish language.
By Alena Grebneva (Own work; CC BY-SA 4.0 via Wikimedia Commons)
Instituto Cervantes guarantees standards of quality and good practices in the preparation of Spanish exams, and ensures different usage of linguistic varieties in the Hispanic world – standards which are also practiced in various courses at FUIA.
Why Should You Take the SIELE Exam?
These are the benefits of the SIELE Exam:
- Fast and easy – Everything is managed electronically, which guarantees you will receive your results within a maximum of three weeks. You can then print the certificate straight from your computer or prove your proficiency with the secure verification code.
- Adaptable – You can choose between the most complete modality of SIELE Global or any of the 5 independent modalities.
- Flexible – You can decide when and in which exam centre you want to take the exam – there are no pre-established dates!
- Uniform – Because it is pan-hispanic, the exam includes different linguistic variations of Spanish.
- Good business – Companies and organizations can quickly find candidates that best adapt to their team through the SIELE verification code.
- Competent training – Universities and schools of business will be able to establish objectives, tools for measurement and control of the progress of learning and training based on SIELE results.
- World Recognition – SIELE is recognized by more than 75 associated organizations and universities in more than 20 countries, including Conference of Rectors of the Spanish Universities (CRUE), the Association of Language Centers in Higher Educations (ACLES), American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) and the National Directory of Professional Certifications (RNCP).
Why take an independent modality?
Depending on whether you need to prove your Spanish proficiency for professional or academic reasons, it may only be necessary to take just part of the SIELE exam through one of its independent modalities.
For example, some entities may only need to certify your level of Spanish oral expression and interaction, which you can do with the independent S4 modality in a 15-minute exam. Here you can obtain a report that supports your competence in a more affordable and less time-consuming manner than if you were to complete the entire SIELE exam.
Be sure to consult your associated education or business institution before taking the exam to determine which option is best suited for your needs.
Accredit your Spanish Level B1/B2 to obtain your degree
A large number of Spanish universities require students to possess an official Spanish certificate to obtain an undergraduate and postgraduate degree. The required level varies from each university, but the most requested levels are B1 and B2 Spanish proficiency.
The different levels of the SIELE diploma are based on CEFR. Here are the different proficiency levels from A1 to C2.
A1 – Breakthrough | A2 – Waystage
B1 – Threshold | B2 – Vantage
C1 – Effective Operational Proficiency | C2 – Mastery
What does each level prove?
When you obtain proficiency in one of the six CEFR levels, you prove that you …
- Use common day-to day expressions to communicate basic information.
- Have the ability to ask basic, personal questions.
- Interact in a basic fashion with natives given they talk slowly and clearly.
- Understand and use daily expressions concerning information relevant to your surroundings, including personal information, shopping and locations.
- Can address questions with reference to your immediate needs.
- Understand main ideas when listening or reading texts on topics such as studies and work or daily life, even when they may have slight variations in the language.
- Be able to handle the majority of situations that take place in these familiar contexts.
- Write simple but coherent texts on familiar topics such as experiences, plans, wishes or opinions.
- Understand complex written and spoken texts even when they are abstract or technical, while grasping different variations of Spanish.
- Have the ability to interact with all types of Spanish speakers in a fluent and natural way, without hesitation.
- Write clear and detailed texts on several topics and debate your opinions.
- Process a wide variety of written and spoken text in every variation of Spanish, including implicit meanings, attitudes and intentions.
- Express yourself fluently, spontaneously and without apparent effort.
- Always find the adequate expression of every situation and context.
- Write complex texts with coherent structure and with a flexible and efficient use of Spanish.
- Handle any situation and understand everything written or spoken no matter how complex, abstract, unfamiliar or varied the expressions in Spanish may be.
- Express yourself spontaneously, fluently and with an exceptional semantic and grammatical precision in every context, be it academic or professional.
How Can You Register for the SIELE Exam?
Registration and payment for the SIELE exam is done online through https://siele.org/reservas
The registration process involves 3 steps:
1. Choose the type of exam you wish to take (SIELE Global or any of the 5 independent modalities)
2. Select the country, date and examination centre in which you wish to obtain your SIELE certificate of Spanish.
3. Print your completed registration form with all required information and bring it to the exam center along with your stated identification on the day of your SIELE exam. You will need to present this information to the examiner.
How much does the SIELE exam cost?
|SIELE Global||155 €|
|S1: Reading & Listening||55 €|
|S2: Reading & Writing||75 €|
|S3: Listening & Oral||100 €|
|S4: Oral||75 €|
|S5: Writing & Oral||100 €|
When and where can you take part in the SIELE exam?
You can participate in the SIELE exam in more than 70 countries in over 300 centers around the globe – including here at FUIA in Puerto de la Cruz! You can select specific dates when searching for centres on siele.org, or by contacting the center directly to set up a time and date.
At FU International Academy, we have SIELE exam dates published for each month. But if another date suits you better, we flexibly open up spaces for you. Just request an exam space by phone or email by filling out our contact form and selecting SIELE as the subject.
What Can You Expect On the Exam Day?
To get a better underst